The holidays are here! With only a few days left until Christmas, if you are like me, you are probably still shopping, maybe still decorating, perhaps baking, traveling, and planning a whole slew of logistics for next few days.
As an insurance agent, I am always on the look out for things that might put my clients at risk. I can't help it really. It's embedded in my DNA. I am constantly on the lookout for things like this, just ask my family. That’s why, instead of bothering them with all of the holiday what-if's, I thought I would share a few quick reminders with you instead. Lucky you. :-)
- Be careful with a live Christmas tree. I know, I love them too. (except the cleanup) But there is definitely something about the smell & the whole nostalgia of picking out a real tree. Real trees are beautiful but can also be hazardous. Water your tree daily and turn the lights off at night and when you won’t be home to avoid a house fire.
- Did you know if your car gets broken into during the holidays and all of your gifts and gift cards get jacked, your car insurance doesn't cover you? Its through your homeowners, but you are subject to your home deductible. And if you have cash in the car, usually there is a sub-limit for cash on your homeowners policy for like $250- $500. Bottom line is, don’t leave gifts in your car! If you must leave anything in the car, put it in the trunk and lock the doors.
- Traveling out of town? Don’t make it too obvious! Leave lights on in the house, stop your mail, and leave your number with a trustworthy neighbor who will keep an eye on your home. And don't post it on social media, like Facebook or Twitter that you are spending the holiday's in Florida with your Grandma when you live in New York!
- Make sure to keep an updated insurance card in your car when you travel. Not only is it good to have if you get pulled over, but all the information you need is in one place if you were to have a claim. Also, leave your insurance info with a neighbor or trusted relative in the area. This way, if something happens, someone else can help you with the claim if an emergency happens. Need a copy of your insurance or want to set up an emergency contact? Contact us and we'd be happy to help!
- Need to contact us after hours or on the holiday? No problem. Just call for after-hours assistance. 888-565-2212 or visit us online.
- Received something special and sparkly for the holidays? Make sure to call us! We’ll review all of your options to make sure it is properly covered and protected.
And most important? Have a safe and joy-filled holiday!
Merry Christmas from all of us at the Bryan Insurance Agency!
P.S. Did you know that the Bryan Insurance Agency adopted a local family as a Secret Santa this Christmas? To see more about it, visit our Facebook page!