April has arrived sending March out like a lion and hopefully bringing spring with it! Now is a great time to get focused on home maintenance and spring cleaning. Not only is it good for insurance purposes, cleaning out the clutter can help your overall demeanor. Here are a few things you can do in April to protect (and organize) your home.
- Check For Damage On Your Home - Winter can be really hard on your home. This winter especially in the Northeast. If you were in Long Island this week, you may have even gotten some more unwanted snow! A quick inspection around your property can reveal a lot of home improvement projects! Look for any damage to your roof, your gutters, or outdoor windows screens and doors. Make note of chipped paint or areas that are in need of general maintenance. Decide what you can do yourself and what will require a professional.
- Spring Cleaning - Now it’s time to tackle the inside of your home. Start working on clearing out and donating unused items (think tax deduction next year!) This could be the perfect time to take inventory of any high value items that need to be documented for your insurance, like guns, artwork, and jewelry. Take photos or make a quick video of those items and store it in a secure (and fire-proof) location. Don't have someplace to store those photos? Email or text us the pictures and we can keep them on file for you!
- Organize Your Tax Documents - You probably just finished your taxes in the past few weeks. Were all of your documents easy to locate? What could make the process even easier next year? Update your filing system or schedule a meeting with your accountant and get prepared now.
- Car Maintenance - Did you know that April is Car Care Month? If you’ve been putting off an oil change or a tune-up, get it scheduled now. Your car will run better and maintain its value longer!
- Spruce Up Your Porch - How does your front porch look these days? Could it use a little extra care? Buy a new welcome mat, plant a pot of flowers, and make sure you can easily read your house numbers. Easy to read numbers are important for emergency services to find your home if in the event they need to help.
- Get Great Homeowners Insurance - What is the best way to protect your home whether it be Long Island or New Windsor or somewhere else in New York? Having the right amount of insurance! Let us give you a no-obligation review of your current policy. Call us at 888-565-2212 to schedule your appointment today or visit us online to schedule an appointment.